Top 10 Tips for Higher Email Open Rates
Are your email open rates a source of embarrassment? Acting to improve them is easier to do than you may think. According to Epsilon.com, email open rates sport an industry average of around 27.4 percent, with wide variations for markets. Understanding your email open rates and the way to improve them should be high on your to-do list!
Toward that end, listed below are 10 top tips for improving your email open rates.
- Write something you would read – Creating terrific content is without a doubt the best way to get your email opened and read.
- Length & timing – We're all busy, and lengthy emails that wander and fail to get to the point are hardly ever looked forward to. By the same token, not using optimum sending times doesn't help.
- Use your subject line wisely – This is actually the single biggest element that effects whether or not your email gets opened. Take the time to craft great, non-spammy subject lines.
- Make good use of your first line – Much like the preceding, the first line of your email, often populated with something like, “If you don't see any images in this message” is visible in their inbox. And this also is valuable space, and don't waste it!
- Give them what they need! – Make sure you make an effort to provide solutions.
- Offer great deals and savings – Everyone loves to save a little and your email is an excellent platform to pass on any deals or specials your company is offering.
- Teach – Presumably they are browsing your email and or newsletter because they are interested in learning something from you. Don't disappoint!
- Be entertaining – Don't be StatMan. Don't be afraid to inject humor, wit, and a little bit of controversy on occasion.
- Is your “From” line recognizable? – Make sure this is the person or company you want to brand, as this builds trust over time.
- Be sure and resend your unopened email – Super easy to do, resending your unopened email is a simple way to boost your open rates.